Find a Nursing Degree
Fill out the fields below, and we will match you with a degree that suits your interests.
MSN – Nurse Midwifery
At a Glance
An MSN nurse midwifery program prepares students to become primary health care providers to women throughout the lifespan. Students in the nurse midwifery program learn to perform physical exams, prescribe contraceptive methods, order laboratory tests, provide prenatal care, gynecological care, labor and birth care, as well as health education and counseling to women of all ages.
How to Become a Nurse Midwife
- Complete an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing.
- Earn a Registered Nurse Certification.
- Enroll and complete a MSN in nurse midwifery.
- Obtain certification in nurse midwifery and proper licensure (requirements vary by state).
Nurse Midwifery Program Description
- Students study how to care for women across the lifespan from adolescence beyond menopause, with a special emphasis on pregnancy, childbirth, gynecologic and reproductive health.
- Program requirements include research and concepts from nursing, midwifery, medicine, and the sciences.
- Courses teach students to perform comprehensive physical exams, prescribe medications including contraceptive methods, order laboratory and other diagnostic tests.
- Clinical practice and extensive research opportunities give students an advantage in their development as a nurse midwife.
Salary and Job Setting
- Estimated Salary: $52,099 – $102,393 (determined by place of employment and area of specialty), according to Payscale.com. (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Midwife_Nurse_Practitioner_%28NP%29/Salary)
- Job Setting: Hospitals, clinics, private offices, nurse-managed health centers, homes.
Featured Schools With Online Master's in Nursing Degrees
Walden's School of Nursing offers academically rigorous and culturally relevant programs that prepare you to improve the quality of patients' lives, communities, and healthcare institutions.
Capella's master's degree in nursing gives you access to a wealth of new information and knowledge within the health care system. Their flexible program allows you to achieve your goals and advance your career by earning your msn degree online.
Earn your dual master's degree in business and nursing, along with specialties in clinical care, education, family nurse practitioner, or nursing leadership at Grand Canyon University's college of nursing and health sciences. Each course can provide you with the skills and techniques you need to become the best in your field.
Liberty University's School of Nursing prepares students to become nurses who are committed to Christian ethical standards and view nursing as a ministry of caring based on the Patricia Benner's theoretical framework.